16 Oct 2014

Knitting & Stitching Show 2014

 It's that time of year again. Wool, threads, fabric and exhibitions all in the palace at the top of the hill in north London. Last Thursday was the first time I'd been to the Knitting & Stitching Show not for work purposes. Whilst I missed being able to leave my coat and umbrella in the press office and the ability to pick up a programme for free, it was rather liberating to wander around the show sans 'work-mode', at my own pace and shop, without feeling guilty, to my heart's content.

Highlights:
At the top of the list is Caren Garfen gallery, She Was Cooking Something Up. She combines cross-stitch and screen printing to bring to light issues affecting women in the 21st Century, particularly the media's obsession with women's bodies, weight and dieting. Garfen's work is insanely detailed - see the tea bags containing household items rather than leaves, oh and that dress (which is one of two) is completely hand stitched, yeah. As well as featuring cross stitched sayings ("she had her cake and ate it"), the exhibition also highlighted the damaging effect of an attitude, channelled by the media, in which women's bodies are public property to be scrutinised and constantly commented on.
The Knitted Textile Awards section featuring, amongst others, the awesome hand knitted dresses by Tuesday Rigby (originally spotted at the Degree Show at Central St Martins), a cute knitted seagull by Clare Sams, the amazing knitted bear by Heather Drage and the entire knitted cast (complete with lonely mountain coat and Peter Jackson) of The Hobbit made by The Knitting Witch who was so so lovely.
A lot of people have praised The Eternal Maker and I would like to add mine. They had SUCH a fantastic range, it was impossible to browse and not buy. I got some red geometric-y pattern fabric and some with polar bears on it. Not sure what I'm going to make with it - a cushion perhaps? Also, if I had a lot of money, I would've bought many things from Toft, home of the softest wool ever. I did get a pompom and picked up a free pattern for their bobble hat. Fabrics Galore also deserves a mention - love those guys - I got some of their chambray. Here's my haul :)

2 comments:

  1. That bobble hat pattern and pompom look adorable. I'm looking forward to seeing your version :) The first installation is so incredibly detailed- it looks amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so cool, my pics really don't do it justice. I spent quite some time walking around around it and reading everything, there were even cross stitched quotes in the curtains! X

    ReplyDelete

Ta v.much :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...