29 Nov 2016

experiments in dressmaking: the tartan dress

Over the last three months I imposed, upon myself, a spending ban on fabric. This is because I've got a big old stash, full of lovely stuff, that wants using (or losing). I started my crusade against the over-flowing stash box with my chambray dress, and this tartan beauty is the follow up...

Like the chambray dress, it's from Tanya Wheelan's Ultimate Dressmaking Guide - basic bodice and gathered skirt but with the addition of capped sleeves and a little white collar. Given my history with zips (and the fact that the last two were disastrous), I opted for a side one and I'm rather pleased with it! It's not invisible (let's not run before we can walk) but it's neat! (Gotta take the little victories.)

The skew-whiff bodice is rather annoying but I can honestly tell you I didn't notice until I'd finished adding the collar (which I redid three times!) and by that point I'd had enough (and that's why I'd never make an good dressmaker). The collar too, is a bone of contention. It really should go all the way round to the back but it was driving me nuts and I just wanted to stop. And that's the mature and measured reason why it's only collared at the front. At least she's one of kind, eh? :)

All criticism aside, I am very pleased with it, she's had four outings already and a few compliments to boot. I've already started on another dress (all in aid of using up my fabric stash of course), here's a sneak peek...!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ta v.much :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...